This term we have been learning all about the Marae. We have learned that…….
- The Marae is an important focal point for the community.
- The Marae is a place where tradition and customs can be carried out.
- The Marae is a place where people can express their values with dignity.
- There are many kawa ( protocols) that prevail on the marae.
- Marae kawa (protocols) can differ between maraes and iwi.
We have focussed on some key concepts when doing this learning.
These are listed and explained in the table below.
give the meaning of these concepts in your own words.
Is a procedure that the marae goes through.
it is the welcoming ceremony they the marae goes through when they have visitors.
Are the local people to the marae.
Are visitors to the marae.
You are aloud to do things on the marae that other people are not aloud to do.
means you belong to the marae.
You respect elders of the marae.
You respect and love the marae.
See this video for an explanation of the roles and responsibilities of people on a marae.
Something I would like to learn more about the marae is what happen when the leader of the marae dies.